Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Easy Crab Salad


Crab is one of those foods that I rarely eat since it is hard to find true crab (as opposed to the rubbery faux stuff) and is usually prohibitive in cost. Enter Trader Joe's, the bargain godsend of food purveyors. I probably don't want to know how they secure their little cans of crab meat, but it is affordable and since crab is so rich, a small 8oz can goes a long way.

While crab feels like a special treat, I do like to make a quick crab meat salad and savor this delicate flavor over salad greens or on a cracker. Most recently I opted for the cracker option and it was a delicious decadent treat on a very hot day!

This recipe is not traditional as far as I know; it was simply what I had in the refrigerator that I thought would got with the crab; some crunch from celery, a bit of tang from a red onion and a conventional seafood pairing of fresh dill. I considered adding capers, but fortunately I did not have them since I think their briny-ness would have overwhelmed the delicate crab taste.

Kirsten's Crab Salad

1 8 oz can crab meat, drained
1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1-2 sliced red onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise, according to taste
1 tablespoon yogurt
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all and mix well.

If you do any variations, let me know!

Hugs!

No comments: