Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms over Biscuits

Since I've been making butter from scratch I have been looking for creative ways to use up the resultant buttermilk. Enter these buttermilk biscuits I found on Pinch My Salt.

Make sure you read all of the tips for making the biscuits even if it seems like overkill. I didn't and paid the price. While the biscuits tasted good, they didn't rise as well as they could have (use all purpose flour, don't kneed too long). And make sure that you you roll them out to about 1 inch thick (which means you barely use the rolling pin.)

I put together a quick creamy sauce with some cremini mushrooms and cooked chicken breasts to make a meal and it was stupendous! Obviously, you could leave off the chicken and this would be just as delicious. I think the cremini mushrooms were key to ensuring lots of flavor and the fresh sage added some extra depth as well. Best of all, it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish and it was such a decadent dinner!

Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms over Buttermillk Biscuits

1/2 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
4 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered or halved depending on size
1 shallot, minced
1/2 stalk celery, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup cream
1 cup milk or 1/2 and 1/2
5 fresh sage leaves, chiffonaded
salt
pepper

Saute shallot and celery over medium heat in olive oil until softened. Add mushrooms to pan and cook 10-12 minutes until mushrooms begin to soften. Salt and cook another 2 minutes. Push vegetables to edge of pan. Melt butter in middle of pan and stir in flour. Add cream and stir well to combine. Chicken and milk and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to simmer to allow sauce to thicken. Add fresh sage and adjust for salt and pepper. Serve over cooked biscuits.

Hugs!

2 comments:

Katerina said...

Ohh that creamy sauce looks divine, especially with homemade biscuits.

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

I think I may have drooled on my keyboard. This looks wonderful and comforting! I'll take an order to go, please.