Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Shrimp with Homemade Tandoori Marinade

One of my oldest and dearest friends is from New Delhi, India, and it was with him that I ate at my first Indian restaurant. "Never order shrimp in an Indian restaurant," he warned me, and I have always followed his advice. He explained that it was only put on the menu for Americans, and not really Indian at all.

But when I was exploring My Feasts and came across this post, I knew I would have to leave the beaten path and try Tandoori Shrimp for myself. Well, not quite by myself, I invited a friend over and we both agreed it was pretty good!

While the recipe I referenced noted that you can buy Tandoori paste at specialty stores, I knew that I was not going to waste a lot of gas driving around Los Angeles looking for said paste.  (In case you're an experienced Indian cook, I want to be clear that I know that part of what makes a dish "Tandoori" is the type of oven it is cooked in, which I didn't have.) Of course it wasn't too hard to make it from scratch, so being the DIYer I am, that's what happened. I found a recipe here and reduced the portions to what is below. If you like it a bit spicier, increase the paprika.

Shrimp with Homemade Tandoori Marinade

4 tablespoons cilantro, minced
5 tablespoons ginger, chopped
1 large lemon, zest and juice
2 1/2 tablespoons cumin seed, pan toasted
2 tablespoons paprika
2 large red chilies, chopped
2 large garlic cloves
2.2 oz tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

10 shrimp (5 per diner)
3 tablespoons yogurt

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. You can add a teaspoon of water to ensure smooth blending. Scrap down sides to ensure all is blended. This will make about 8 tablespoons of paste and the best way to preserve it is to spoon it into an ice cube tray and freeze them. Use two cubes (2 tablespoons) for a 2 person meal.

Combine 2 tablespoons of paste with the yogurt and blend well. Marinate shrimp in mixture for 30 minutes and then bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Stuffed Cheese Bread with Herbs at Stacey Snacks
Panzanella Bread Salad at Simply Recipes
Asiago Crusted Baked Zucchini Sticks at The Taste Space

4 comments:

sophie said...

tasty!

Katie Zeller said...

Always best to make your own... Looks delicious. I wish we could get raw shrimp here.... I'll have to check the frozen food store - yes, we have a store that only sells frozen food. I've never been in it.

Faith said...

I've never had Indian-spiced shrimp! It sounds really good and I bet my hubby (who is a real shrimp lover) would adore it!

Davis said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Hackensack and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.