Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Italian Quick Pickle Veggies - Sotto Aceto

Inspired by a recipe I read in my new favorite Italian cookbook, The Southern Italian Table by Arthur Schwartz, and desirous of finding a new way to preserve I made Giardineria, Quick Pickled Vegetables. Sotto Aceti (under vinegar) is another name used for these quick pickles and most restaurants in Italy provide some assortment on their antipasti plates.

The "quick" part is a little deceiving; it is quicker than the canning version which requires being around a steaming hot bath for preserving your pickles. However, these aren't ready to eat for 5-7 days.

Like so many home preservation recipes, you can tailor it to your own tastes. I love bay leaf and rosemary, so I put some of those in, along with a ton of garlic cloves (making them pickles unto themselves) and black peppercorns.  Traditionally, sotto aceto includes carrots which provide a natural sweetness. Without them, I simply added a teaspoon of sugar to the water vinegar mix that I poured over the veggies.

Italian Quick Pickle Veggies - Sotto Aceto
(makes 1 quart)

1 head cauliflower, broken up into bite size pieces
10 mini red bell peppers
15 whole garlic cloves
1 fresh bay leaf
1 sprig of rosemary
1/2 quart water
1/2 quart cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns

Bring water, vinegar, salt and sugar to low simmer. Remove from stove. Place vegetables in mason jar and pour hot liquid over veggies. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 week. Eat at will!

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:


Watermelon Mango Salad with Blue Cheese at Blue Kitchen
Chile Rellenos at Closet Cooking
Carrot Salad with Harissa, Feta and Mint at Smitten Kitchen

4 comments:

sophie said...

that's the book I received from kcrw, and I completely skipped this recipe when browsing through it. Somehow pickling vegetables sort of scares me, but now that I see it done I think I will try it someday.. thanks for showing me the way!

Reeni said...

I love these! It'd be hard for me to wait that long - I'd have to make two jars - one for taste testing as the week progressed.

Faith said...

I love making things like this at home! I seriously need to get canning equipment so I can make a huge batch and have it last all year!

Kirsten Lindquist said...

Sophie - Pickling sounds scary but it really is quite simple and easy!

Reeni - I know the feeling! It takes all my will power to wait!

Faith - Let me know if you do, canning is too much fun (I always had too much and gave lots away, of course no one complained!)