Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Tomato, Mint and Feta Salad

May you be showered with a bounty of tomatoes! That is my wish for everyone everywhere. Tomatoes are truly fruits of the gods, and I am not embarrassed to admit that each summer season I remember, all over again, how wonderful fresh, in-season tomatoes taste!

Usually, there is no need for a "recipe" for a tomato salad, but since most people think of basil to pair with it (which I usually do) and probably fewer consider mint, I wanted to offer this suggestion. I was out of basil and itching for a tomato salad with some herb in it. Remembering that feta and mint is often paired in many Mediterranean cuisines (North African, Middle Eastern) I decided to give that a try. Wow! There's a reason mint goes with feta and the additional of tomato and some black briney olives brought it all together.

Whether you couple this with some other Mediterranean dishes or just eat it as is with some toast or bread, it is fantastic!

Tomato, Mint and Feta Salad

1 large red tomato, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 fennel bulb, shaved or slivered fine
6-8 olives, black oil cured
5 sprigs of mint, destemmed
1 tablespoon feta
1/2 lemon, juiced
olive oil
salt
pepper

Combine everything except the lemon, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss well. Salt and pepper and squeeze lemon over all and toss in olive oil.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Adobe Buttermilk Chicken with Onions at Mango and Tomato
Provencal Seafood Bisque at Simply Recipes
Eggplant, Roasted Red Pepper and Mint Soup at Soup Chick

2 comments:

Faith said...

I think mint is a brilliant pair in this salad! What a refreshing flavor.

nic @ nipitinthebud said...

I don't need telling twice to try anything with mint in it. Or tomato. Or feta. Yummmmmmmy.