Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pita Pizza - Quattro Stagioni

Pizza is probably my favorite food. I could eat it everyday; with new toppings, new crusts or simply the same thing over and over and over again. I really love it. But sometimes I just want it now, no waiting for dough to rise or defrost. That's when I make lazy pizza, pita pizza.

One of my closet friends introduced me to pita pizza - a South Asian from New Delhi no less! It is truly a life saver when you need a pizza fix. I even love this cold (but then again, I love any pizza cold as well as hot, and warm, and room temperature.... you get the picture.)

While I was in the mood for quick and easy pizza, I was thrilled to note that my pantry had everything I needed for Quattro Stagioni pizza, the traditional pizza found all over Italy. Quattro stagioni means "four seasons" and your guess is as good as mine as to which season each ingredient represents - mushrooms for the fall, artichokes in spring, olives for winter and prosciutto in summer? Either way, it is a delicious combination.

I even used tomato sauce out of jar, so this meal is ready in less than 30 minutes from start to plate! This is a fun way to give kids pizza while making it a little healthier (use whole wheat pitas, less cheese) and have them participate in preparing the food by picking out their own toppings. Everyone wins!

Pita Pizza - Quattro Stagioni

2 pitas
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 tablespoons tomato sauce
3-4 mushrooms, sliced
4-6 artichoke hearts, chopped
10-12 olives, chopped or halved
1 slice prosciutto, cut in pieces

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toast pitas until just crisp; do not let them brown. Spoon 2 tablespoons tomato sauce on each pita, spreading thinly and leaving 1/2 inch border. Sprinkle cheese evenly on each pita. Arrange toppings in each quadrant of pita: olives, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and prosciutto. Bake on foil lined sheet for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Remove from oven and cut in quarters.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me: 

Pasta e Ceci at Pithy and Cleaver
Greek Sweet Cream Pies at Culinary Flavors
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Capers, Tomatoes and Italian Sausage at Food Hunters Guide

No comments: