Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Herbed Ricotta Savory Tart

My new addiction is making fresh ricotta. I love it so much so let me count the ways.  

One: It's so easy to make and so gourmet tasting drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper.  

Two: It fits well with my entertaining style - a bowl of fresh ricotta along with bread, marinated olives, baby roma tomatoes from the garden, and dinner is served!

Three: Substituting it in recipes here and there to showcase its versatility gives me the joy of making it over and over again!

When I found David Lebovitz's Herbed Ricotta Tart I knew it was time for another batch. Following his suggestion I used this olive oil crust which fit well with the savory filling of his tart. My tart pan - a 10 inch quiche pan - was much larger than the one David used so I increased the proportions to fit it, as I indicated below. I also ended up cooking it longer, probably because it was larger and the fact that I was multi-tasking and had something else cooking in the oven.

Herbed Ricotta Savory Tart (from David Lebovitz)
(made in a 10 inch quiche dish)

1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta (or store-bought that has been drained so it is dry and crumbly)
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup Half and Half (he called for 1/2 a cup of cream and 1/2 cup of milk, so this is the same)
1 cup scallions, sliced 1/4 inch (white parts of 2 bunches)
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
salt
pepper
tart crust (I used this olive oil crust)

If you are making a crust, prepare as directed. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a skillet melt the butter and saute the scallions until soft, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in thyme and set aside and allow to cool (a trick is to place it on a plate and spread it out to cool faster). In a mixing bowl combine ricotta, half and half, and eggs and mix well. Add scallion mixture and salt and pepper and blend well. Pour into prepared crust and bake for 40-50 minutes, testing for doneness beginning at the 40 minute mark. A knife inserted in the center will come out clean when it's done. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Corn Soup with Spicy Poblano Sauce at Seven Soup Spoons
Rosemary and Ginger Roasted Fruit Rolls at ECurry!
Grilled Eggplant Subs with Fontina and Tomato Jam at Eats Well With Others

1 comment:

pam said...

Making ricotta has been on my list of things to do for too long now!! I really need to do it!