Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ancho Lentil Tacos

I am in love...yup, it's official. I think of my love night and day, dreaming of when we can spend time together, drooling over recipes, cooking up delicious food and of course eating it until the plate is licked clean.

My love's name? Isa Chandra of Post Punk Kitchen.

Have you looked at this woman's stuff? She's amazing! I know I'm a bit new to the vegan party but, girl, let me tell you, she has it going on! She figured out how to make awesome vegan sausages (sure, someone else may have come up with the format but she so surely perfected it because she's my love!) Her desserts are to die for, and that is saying something coming from little ole miss-who-turns-down-free-chocolate samples. To top it all off, she's got a fabulous writing voice, second if not first in my blogroll world - quickly edging out Deb of Smitten Kitchen. In short, Isa Chandra is my new It Girl Cook and I'm looking forward to a long and delicious relationship!

These ancho lentil tacos are only the latest swoonable offering from her that I have tried. I ate them no less than three times in one week, and have had to consciously refrain from eating them ever other night. They are quick, easy, tasty and make me feel oh so smug - always a good sign! I love them so much that I want to stand on the corner and hand them out to strangers so that all of the world can share the love. Stay tuned, I just might!

If you can't find ancho pepper powder, you can a) grind or chop up some dry roasted ancho peppers of your own or b) substitute a tablespoon of adobo sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce.

Ancho Lentil Tacos from Post Punk Kitchen
(serves 3-4)

1 cup cooked lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground ancho chile
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
Taco shells

Combine all of the spices and set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and sautee the onion and garlic in the oil with a pinch of salt for about 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add spices and toss them for 30 seconds or so to toast. Reduce heat to medium and add lentils with a few splashes of water, the tomato paste and hot sauce; use a spatula to mash them a bit as they cook, until they hold together. If your spatula isn’t strong enough to accomplish this, just use a fork. Do this for about 5 minutes, adding splashes of water as necessary if it appears dry. Taste for salt and seasoning; you may want to add more spices or hot sauce. Just before serving, toast taco shells in toaster oven for about 1 minute to soften them just slightly. Serve with your favorite tacos toppings!

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Creamy Baked Spinach and Mushroom Rotini at Chez Cayenne
Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll-ups at Cinnamon Girl Recipes
Cinnamon Buttermilk Pie at Nutmeg Nanny

2 comments:

Reeni said...

You've got a pretty fabulous writing voice yourself! I'm totally sold on these tacos! This is the second lentil recipe I've seen tonight so it must be a sign. xoxo

Kirsten Lindquist said...

awww, thanks reeni! hugs!